Monday 10 March 2014

Photo day at Ashbridges Bay and Lake Ontario.

I think I just had the best photo day this year! Went back down to the lake and Ashbridges Bay and found many diving ducks and scoters. I also found many gulls and a hawk! Highlights include 13 Iceland Gulls and 4 White-winged Scoters, including a beautiful adult male that was diving near the shore! It was 6 degrees Celsius today and overcast. It will be sunny tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to getting better pictures!


Here's what I saw:

40 Redhead
10 Greater Scaup
5 Gadwall
4 White-winged Scoter
60 Mallard
15 Common Goldeneye
10 Bufflehead
35 Long-tailed Duck
10 Red-breasted Merganser
200 Ring-billed Gull
50 Herring Gull
13 Iceland Gull
1 Cooper's hawk

Here are some shots!


White-winged Scoter





This beautiful adult male White-winged Scoter was diving 15 feet from the shore!


Red-breasted Merganser... on land?


A dog chased him off!


Long-tailed Duck


Bufflehead



Cooper's Hawk that allowed me to get within 20 feet of him!


Below are various Iceland Gulls of different ages:

I saw 13 today! A new city high count!









Iceland Gulls: left 
Herring Gull: right










Thanks for looking!

Comments appreciated!

Happy birding!

-Owen

No comments:

Post a Comment