Sunday 22 December 2013

Tommy Thompson Park - two lifers and three Snowy Owls!


I went to Tommy Thompson Park on Saturday hoping for a Snowy Owl and any other lifer that could be seen! It was -2 degrees Celsius, had semi-freezing rain, and the large ponds that I saw all the waterfowl last time were frozen! However, I had a great time and was successful!


Here's what I saw:

30 Canada Geese
5 Ring-billed Gull
10 Herring Gull
10 Gadwall
20 Red-breasted Merganser
3 Common Merganser
2 Common Goldeneye
3 American Black Duck
20 Mallard
10 scaup sp.
20 Bufflehead
40 Long-tailed Duck
40 American Tree Sparrow
1 Song Sparrow
3 Black-capped Chickadee
1 American Kestrel
1 Great Horned Owl
3 Snowy Owl
1 Red-tailed Hawk


Here are some shots:


Lifer #173 Common Merganser was the first bird we saw!



5 Bufflehead were also present


Hordes of American Tree Sparrows were always around me



We then found and subsequently accidentally flushed this Snowy Owl! Lifer #174!


Then this Snowy Owl was found right afterwards! I'm sure it's a different individual.


Female American Kestrel perched atop a tree


Long-tailed Ducks in the rain


Greater Scaup? Lesser Scaup? Ring-necked Duck? Leave your opinion in the comments!


American Black Duck




A Great Horned Owl was perched nicely 25 feet up in a tree. It allowed me to get extremely close and get some great shots! I walked right under it, waved my arms, jumped up and down, and it didn't even flinch.


 As we headed back to the car, I spotted another Snowy Owl that was out on the ice! That makes three!


Comments appreciated!

Happy birding!

-Owen















4 comments:

  1. Owen, your mystery ducks are actually not aythya. They're male Common Mergansers! Pretty cool.

    -Samuel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Snowies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome pictures, especially all the owl ones. Nice zoom, very crisp photos!
    - Scuppernog @ whatbird

    ReplyDelete