Saturday 8 March 2014

Afternoon birding at Lake Ontario.

Today was nice; 3 degrees Celsius, no wind, and an overcast sky. I walked to Lake Ontario in under 15 minutes, and right offshore were many diving ducks! I then walked over to Ashbridges Bay Park and found two Iceland Gulls and more diving ducks!

Here's what I saw:

2 Mute Swan
1 Domestic Goose
30 Long-tailed Duck
20 Greater Scaup
10 Bufflehead
40 Redhead
5 Gadwall
6 White-winged Scoter
1 Common Merganser
6 Red-breasted Merganser
30 Common Goldeneye
5 Mallard
40 Ring-billed Gull
3 Iceland Gull!
2 Northern Cardinal
1 Black-capped Chickadee
1 Downy Woodpecker

(Keep in mind that I saw these at a place that's a short walk from my house!!!)


Here are some shots!


A Domestic Goose was the first bird I saw.


Long-tailed Ducks were within 40 feet of the shore and plentiful!


My best Red-breasted Merganser shot so far!


Greater Scaup


Greater Scaup flapping its wings.


Then suddenly a pale winged gull flew past - an adult Iceland Gull!


Long-tailed Duck


Long-tailed Duck with an air of nobility!


Bufflehead


White-winged Scoter


Gadwall - Yearbird!


Redhead - Yearbird!


Redhead


Bufflehead


White-winged Scoters


Iceland Gull - 2nd year


Adult Iceland Gull!


Iceland Gull! (The same 2nd year individual)

Comments appreciated!

Happy birding!

-Owen

1 comment:

  1. Awesome Owen! That domestic goose looks EXACTLY like one I saw recently!

    ReplyDelete