Saturday 18 January 2014

Another Snowy Owl, as well as other great birds from Tommy Thompson Park!

Today I went to Tommy Thompson Park in hopes of seeing more Snowy Owls, and getting more yearbirds. The weather was nice - sunny, only -6 Celsius, and minimal wind. We had a great day, and I can't wait until my next trip to Tommy Thompson next month!


Here's what we saw:

7 Trumpeter Swan
10 American Black Duck
10 Mallard
40 Greater Scaup
80 Long-tailed Duck
2 Bufflehead
20 Common Goldeneye
1 Common Merganser
10 Red-breasted Merganser
4 Red-tailed Hawk
X Ring-billed Gull
X Herring Gull
1 Snowy Owl!
4 Downy Woodpecker
15 Black-capped Chickadee 
1 Northern Mockingbird
50 American Tree Sparrow
1 Northern Cardinal


I got 14 yearbirds as well bringing my Ontario list to 31. My goal is 200 species in Ontario for 2014.

Here are some shots:


American Tree Sparrows were the first birds to greet us!


Red-breasted Merganser




Snowy Owl on the ice allowing for great photo oppertunities!


Long-tailed Ducks


Barren wasteland


Black-capped Chickadee - still hyper in sub-zero temperatures!


Downy Woodpecker pose


Downy Woodpecker 


Long-tailed Duck


Long-tailed Ducks with a Common Goldeneye


Greater Scaup


Common Goldeneye



Greater Scaup group 20 feet away from me!


Greater Scaup


Red-tailed Hawk in flight


Long-tailed Duck with the Snowy Owl in the background!


Trumpeter Swans


Lake Ontario


Rocks and ice


Toronto skyline


Comments appreciated!

Happy birding!

-Owen

1 comment:

  1. Great pics! 6 of those would be lifers for me. I really like the long-tailed duck photos and the american tree sparrow shot. :-)

    ReplyDelete